Abercarn United 0 – 3 Newport City

Newport City extended their impressive run of victories to seventeen consecutive games, as they came closer to securing a play-off spot with a comprehensive win at Abercarn United.

The opening stages proved to be a lively and even affair, with both sides coming close to scoring. The first chance fell to Abercarn’s Kurt Thornbury, who powered a close range header over the bar following a free kick delivery.

City then almost went ahead when Calum Bateman was played through on goal, but the midfielder was denied by Abercarn keeper George Lohfink, who turned Bateman’s low strike wide round the near post. Bateman came close again as he spun inside area, before firing a low scuffed shot straight into Lohfink’s arms. The Steelmen continued to apply the danger, as Loke Tyrrell Webbe saw his deflected low shot grasped by Lohfink.

The hosts responded in kind, and nearly went in front, as a header by Cameron Thomas was deflected inches over bar from six yards out. Abercarn continued to threaten, as a thunderous strike from the edge of the area by Jack Bainton was well grasped by Cohen Riella. The hosts came even closer after an awkward bounce inside the area fell to Thornbury, who saw his shot superbly blocked by Riella.

City upped the tempo again, but were left frustrated again when a presentable opportunity from Owen Cuddihy was struck high over the bar. Just when it looked like it was going to be all square at the interval, City took the lead three minutes into added time. The goal came in fortuitous fashion, as a corner delivery by Richard Noyes flew straight into the top left corner.

HT 1-0

The hosts initially restarted strongly and almost equalised when Alex Adams was presented with a big opportunity inside the area, but the attacker somehow failed to connect with the ball. That warning sign seemed to wake up the Steelmen, as they went on to dominate the reminder of the game.

City nearly doubled their lead when a fizzing ball across the face of goal was met at the far post by   Bateman, who surprisingly fired wide from five yards. The Steelmen did however extend their advantage with a goal in the 62nd minute. A corner delivery by Noyes was connected at the far post by Louis Caramella-Gerrard, who nodded the ball into the bottom left corner.

Boosted by goal, City found the back of the net soon again. A low shot from Cole Jarvis was parried by Lohfink, before the rebound was tucked in by Solomon Taylor St Clair. However, the goal was disallowed for offside. The Steelmen were then handed a golden opportunity to add a third, as they were awarded a penalty following a handball offence inside the Abercarn area. Caramella-Gerrard agonisingly saw his spot kick saved by Lohfink, while the rebound strike from Kofi Rowe was grasped by the latter.

City continued to threaten, with Jarvis and Rowe powering close range headers inches over the bar. The Steelmen did manage to seal the game in the 86th minute, as they finally increased their lead. A 15 yard strike by Lewis Ellis was parried by Lohfink, before the rebound was tapped in from close range by Cuddihy. The victory allowed the Steelmen to maintain their 100% winning record in 2024, with only 2 more points needed to secure a play off spot.

FT 3-0

Newport City Line-Up:

Riella, Stevens, Cuddihy, Caramella-Gerrard, Noyes, Taylor St Clair (Sub: Hallett), Ogugua (Sub: Ellis), Jarvis, Bateman (Sub: Bloom),Tyrrell Webbe (Sub: Kaplan), Mackenzie (Sub: Rowe)





Leave a Reply