AFC Llwydcoed 1-4 Newport City

Newport City extended their recent impressive run of victories to four successive games following a comfortable fifth round win in the FAW Amateur Trophy against AFC Llwydcoed.

The opening 15 mins turned out to be a cagey affair, with Dean Clifford coming closest to scoring when his curling effort flew inches past the right post. City were instantly punished for the miss as they fell behind in the 16th minute. A square ball inside the area by Ricky Carter found the unmarked Dylan Davies, who fired in a low finish from 8 yards out.

Despite the setback, the Steelmen responded excellently; and were level just four minutes later. A delivery across the face of goal was knocked down by Adam Kaplan, which allowed Kofi Rowe to tuck in from close range. Boosted by the goal, City almost went ahead soon after, as Richard Noyes saw his free kick tipped just over the bar by Llwydcoed keeper JP Van Der Horst. The Steelemen continued to threaten; and nearly scored again after Rowe & Clifford both sent good opportunities narrowly wide. The Steelmen came close again on the stroke of half time, as Martyn Mickiewicz powered a header inches over the bar following a corner.

HT 1-1

City restarted the game where they left off; and almost instantly went in front when Cole Jarvis saw his low strike inside the area deflect wide by Van Der Horst. The Steelmen’s pressure did eventually pay off in the 52nd minute, as they finally took a deserved lead. A pass by Gareth Hole was collected on the edge of the area by Jarvis, who slotted a well placed strike into the bottom left corner.

Buoyed by the goal, City almost extended their lead as Jarvis saw a goal bound strike deflected over the bar. The resulting corner saw the Steelmen come even closer, as Mickiewicz smacked a header on to the post. The Steelmen’s relentless dominance continued to gather pace, as Cole Jarvis’ threatening free kick from the edge of the area was blocked by the Llwydcoed wall. City were eventually rewarded for their persistence, as they registered their third goal in the 68th minute. A neat pull back on the byline by Frederick Stevens allowed him to cross towards the far post, where Kaplan was free to tap in from six yards out.

With his confidence sky high, Stevens turned from provider to goal scorer six minutes later, as the Steelmen bagged a fourth goal. A clever through ball into the area by Rowe found Stevens, who dinked a smart finish past Van Der Horst. City continued to terrorise the hosts’ defence and threatened to run riot. Rowe almost converted his second goal of the game, but saw his tame close range shot blocked by Van Der Horst. James Bloom was also presented with another good opportunity to extend the Steelmen’s lead, but he blasted the ball over when well placed inside the area.

City ultimately saw out the reminder of the game comfortably enough as they progressed into the next round of the FAW Amateur Trophy. The victory was also a perfect warm up ahead of the Steelmen’s pivotal league clash against Risca United.


Newport City Line-Up:

Jones, Stevens, Noyes, Mickiewicz © (Sub: Hallett), Okonmah, Jarvis, Kaplan (Sub: Francombe), Hole (Sub: Mooney), Clifford (Sub: Harris), Rowe, Taylor St Clair (Sub: Bloom)

Leave a Reply