Chepstow Town 5-0 Newport City

Newport City’s unbeaten run in 2023 ended in disastrous fashion as they suffered a heavy defeat against Chepstow Town.

The hosts immediately dominated the opening 10mins, and almost scored twice through Omotayo Omolokun and Ashton Ajibola-Gleed who both fired inches wide. City momentarily weathered the storm and came close to going ahead on three occasions. A 20 yard free kick effort by Dean Clifford appeared to dip into the back of the net, but Chepstow keeper Matthew Swann tipped the ball over the bar. Kareem Leigh was then played through clean on goal, but the attacker frustratingly saw his low shot blocked by Swann. Leigh almost scored again after connecting on to a cross inside the six yard box, but he was denied once more as his tapped effort was deflected off the goal line.

The Steelmen were made to pay for their missed opportunities, as they eventually fell behind in the 17th minute. The goal came from a corner delivery which found the unmarked David Palmer, who powered in a header from four yards out. Buoyed by the goal, Chepstow regained full control of the game; and doubled their lead in the 26th minute. The goal came when a cross into the area failed to be sufficiently cleared by City keeper Travis Wood and Charlie Corten, leading to Ajibola-Gleed heading the loose ball into the back of the net from close range. Things continued to get worse for City when the hosts trebled their lead in the 33rd minute. The goal came when a cross into the area by Tom Pearson found Oliver Melling free at the far post, allowing the latter to convert into the bottom left corner.

Shell shocked by the three goals, the Steelmen attempted to claw their way back into the game before the interval. Leigh almost pulled a goal back when his goal bound low effort was deflected narrowly wide, while Clifford saw a 20 yard free kick grasped by Swann. City were instantly punished for their lack of conviction, as they found themselves falling further behind in the 40th minute. The goal came when Pearson cleverly tricked his way past two City defenders inside the area, before slotting the ball into the bottom left corner. Things almost got even worse for the Steelmen on the stroke of half time, when Travis Wood was forced into tipping a curling effort from Omolokun over the bar.

HT 4-0

The second half failed to match the drama of the first as the hosts looked to preserve their unassailable lead, while City aimed to limit the damage. Chepstow almost extended their lead when a free kick delivery into the area found Pearson, but the defender manged to side-foot the ball over the bar from four yards out. Ajibola-Gleed and Joseph Ward also both threatened as they fired long range strikes over the bar. The hosts were then awarded a penalty following an alleged foul on Bailey Hobbs inside the area by Martyn Mickiewicz. The resulting spot kick was emphatically converted by Palmer in the 74th minute, sealing a miserable day for the Steelmen.

A much improved performance will need to be displayed by City in next week’s home clash against high flyers Abertillery Bluebirds, as the Steelmen look to instantly bounce back in their fight against the drop.

FT 5-0

Newport City Line-Up:

T Wood, Wigley (Sub: Mickiewicz) Corten, Cashman, Francombe, S Wood, Wynne (Sub: Taylor), Westhead, Hole (Sub: Harrison), Clifford (Sub: Rosser) Leigh (Sub: Omoleigho)


Leave a Reply