Newport City 0-1 Trethomas Bluebirds

Newport City endured another disappointing evening on the field, as they endured a home defeat against Trethomas Bluebirds in what was truly a game of two halves. Despite the result, the game was again played in front of a large crowd which produced a spectacular atmosphere.

Trethomas started the game strongly and could have scored four times in the opening 15 minutes. A cross by Thomas Gameson into the six yard box found the unmarked Gareth Tedstone, who flashed his strike wide of the left post. Levi Rees then broke through on goal just seconds later, but curled his shot inches wide of the right post. Tedstone came very close again on a couple of occasions, but the forward sent his efforts narrowly wide.

It was however fourth time lucky for Tedstone in the 21st minute, as he fired the Bluebirds in front. The goal came after City failed to clear their lines inside the area, allowing Tedstone to tuck in a close range finish. Trethomas almost doubled their lead when a corner delivery found the unmarked Andrew Evans at the far post, but the midfielder saw his header deflect inches past the left post.

The Steelmen attempted to drag their way back into the game, as they applied a brief spell of pressure. Matt Green powered a close range header over the bar, while a low strike from inside the area by Robert Atkinson was grasped by Trethomas keeper Harry Irving. Ishi-David Okonmah also came close, but the defender headed wide following a corner.

HT 0-1

City restarted the game much more positively; and bossed the second half. They almost scored when Green flashed a header narrowly past the left post, while he came even closer a few minutes later after his acrobatic overhead effort smacked the crossbar. Green continued to terrorise the Bluebirds defence, but this time saw his low 8 yard effort blocked by Irving.

The Steelmen continued to pressurise and came very close again through Green, who this time saw Irving sensationally tip his close range header over the bar. Green frustratingly saw another chance go begging; this time his flicked effort from a corner deflected wide off the bar.

City continued to bombard the Bluebirds’ goal; and had several more opportunities to level. Green came incredibly close again, but this time saw his low header tipped away at the near post by Irving. The Steelmen came even closer minutes later when Rhyse Hudson powered his way through on goal, but agonisingly saw his shot bounce off the right post.

Trethomas briefly threatened through a small number of counter attacks. Harries was forced into action when he produced a couple of saves from Tedstone, while Rees flashed a header inches wide of the right post.

The Steelmen continued in vain to find an equaliser, as the game entered a lengthy amount of stoppage time. A free kick effort from Atkinson was tipped over the bar by Irving, while Irving also grabbed a curling strike from Martyn Mickiewicz.

City experienced a further setback in the 96th minute, as Frederick Stevens was sent off after being penalised for a second bookable offence. Despite their relentless second half dominance, City were ultimately unable to level the game as they were left to rue their missed chances.

FT 0-1

Newport City Line-Up:

Harris, Stevens, Noyes, Okonmah (Sub: Francombe), Mickiewicz, Hooper (Sub: Bloom), Hudson, Behaldeen (Sub: Bell), Green ©, Kaplan (Sub: Ward), Atkinson

Subs not used: Harris

Leave a Reply