Newport City 1-0 Blaenavon Blues

Newport City extended their unbeaten run to six games following a hard earned home win against Blaenavon Blues, as the Steelmen continued life under the Nexgen ownership on a positive note.

The opening half proved to be a highly cagey affair, with clear cut chances coming at a premium. The best opening opportunities came from a series of corner deliveries from City’s Dean Clifford. Both Ethan Wynne and Rhys Hudson powered individual headers wide when well placed inside the area, while Clifford saw another one of his corner deliveries skim the top of the bar.

The Steelmen came close again when a low cross into area by Hudson was superbly controlled by Clifford, but latter frustratingly skied his effort well over the bar. City maintained a good level of possession during the opening half, but failed to apply the killer touch in front of goal.

City were almost punished for their wasted chances as Blaenavon almost went ahead shortly before the interval. Khai Jones saw his low shot from inside 6 yard box well blocked round the left post by City keeper Travis Wood; while Harrison Archer fired an effort inches past the right post from the resulting corner.

HT 0-0

The Steelmen restarted the game strongly; and they eventually broke the deadlock in the 50th minute. The goal came following a corner delivery, where Hudson managed to flick on a header towards Cashman who bundled in a low finish from 3 yards out.

Buoyed by the goal, City almost doubled their lead when a diving low header by Hudson was tipped round the right post by Blaenavon keeper George Lohfink following a corner. The Steelmen continued to pressurise and came close again when a cross into the area by James Hill found Spencer Wood, but the latter smashed a big chance high over bar when well placed.

The visitors responded strongly as they chased an equaliser; and caused several shaky moments for City. The warning signs initially appeared when a close range strike from Archer flew narrowly past the right post. Panic then erupted as Travis Wood failed to cleanly gather a long ball, leading to a scramble inside the area before the Steelmen managed to clear the danger.

Blaenavon threw the kitchen sink during the closing stages; and relentlessly threatened through a series of set pieces. Both Craig Tanner and Rhys Williams saw a couple of headers drift narrowly over, while a deflected free kick effort from Michael Baugh whistled just wide past the left post.

City eventually weathered the storm as they successfully clinched another vital victory, with the Steelmen continuing their march away from the drop zone.

FT 1-0

Newport City Line-Up:

T Wood, Tegg, Corten, Cashman, Francombe, S Wood, Wynne, Westhead; Hudson, Clifford (Sub: Leigh), Hill (Sub: Hole)

Unused subs – Joyce, Harrison, Rosser

Leave a Reply