Newport City 2-0 Tredegar Town

Newport City extended their recent impressive run of victories to twelve successive games following an entertaining home win against Tredegar Town. The victory keeps the Steelmen’s promotion hopes on track, as they keep the pressure on Risca United and Trethomas Bluebirds at the top of the table.

The opening half proved to be an end to end affair, with both sides creating several threatening opportunities. The first big chance came for City, as a lofted effort from Owen Cuddihy flew inches wide of the top right hand post. Tredegar responded strongly; and came very closing to scoring twice. A through ball sent Thomas Spruce clean through on goal, as Cohen Riella was forced into desperately producing a vital low block. The visitors came even closer a couple of minutes later, when Owen Thomas inexplicitly tapped ball into Riella’s hands from a yard out, with almost the entire goal gaping.

The Steelmen then almost went ahead, as a powerful strike from inside the area by Frederick Stevens was palmed over the bar by Tredegar keeper Andrew Hargreaves. City were eventually rewarded for their persistence when they took the lead in the 24th minute. A well supplied square pass into the area by Cuddihy was connected by Cole Jarvis, who struck a nicely placed finish into the back of net.

Boosted by goal, the Steelmen almost instantly doubled their lead. A phenomenal run into the six yard box by Cuddihy saw him find Kofi Rowe, who scuffed his sliding effort into the hands of Hargreaves. City were nearly punished for the missed opportunity, as Thomas managed to tap wide from two yards as the ball rolled inches wide of the right post.

The Steelmen continued to probe for a second goal before the interval; and came close when James Bloom saw his close range half volley grasped by Hargreaves. City kept up the pressure and threatened again, as Bloom and Riccardo Mackenzie both fired presentable efforts over the bar.

HT 1-0 

Tredegar almost levelled instantly after the restart, when a low shot from Thomas deflected narrowly past the left post. The visitors continued to pressurise as Daniel Duggan forced Riella into a big save at the near post, while Duggan also struck a close range free kick over the bar.

The Steelmen eventually weathered the storm; and they upped the tempo in their search for a second goal. Stevens powered a header inches past the right post, while Lewis Ellis saw his strike blocked by feet of Hargreaves at the near post. City did however double their advantage on the hour mark, when Cuddihy converted a sweetly taken volley into the bottom right corner.

With the wind behind their sails, the Steelmen continued to push forward in their search for more goals. Both Louis Caramella-Gerrard and Jarvis fired presentable opportunities over the bar, while Jarvis also glanced a header over. Tredegar came a whisker away from registering a consolation goal during the closing stages, as Tomas Lynch saw his free kick bounce off the crossbar.

City ultimately managed to navigate the rest of the game successfully, as they maintained their 100% winning record in 2024.

FT 2-0

Newport City Line-Up:

Riella, Stevens (Sub: Kaplan), Noyes, Cuddihy, Jarvis, Taylor St Clair (Sub: Mickiewicz), Bloom, Rowe, Ellis (Sub: Ogugua), Caramella-Gerrard (Sub: Hallett), Mackenzie (Sub: Francombe)

Leave a Reply