Newport City 2 – 3 Cefn Cribwr (Ardal South League Cup R1)

Newport City’s poor run of form continued as Cefn Cribwr avenged their recent Welsh Cup defeat against the Steelmen. With the game played in heavy rainy conditions, City were outfought against the Riders in the Ardal South League Cup 1st round.

City started the game strongly and almost scored in the opening minutes. A clever flick from Dean Clifford found Rhyse Hudson inside the area, but the latter frustratingly saw his scuffed shot grasped by Cefn Cribwr keeper Liam Hopkins. The Steelmen however made no mistake a couple of minutes later, as they took the lead in the 7th minute. A defence splitting through ball from Luke Boyle fell into the path of Hudson, who advanced clear into the area and tucked in a nice low finish.

The visitors responded strongly and almost levelled through Ross Hooper and Ioan Clatworthy who both sent threatening efforts narrowly wide, while Thomas Davies saw his strike grasped by City keeper Marcel Nzarora. City eventually weathered the storm; and they almost doubled their lead when Kareen Leigh broke free into the area. The striker however curled his effort inches wide past the left post.

The Steelmen were instantly made to pay for the missed opportunity as the visitors levelled the game in the 21st minute. Following a goalmouth scramble inside the City area, Daniel Jenkins managed to feed the ball to Clatworthy who slotted a close range finish into the bottom left hand corner. Things immediately got worse for the Steelmen just a minute later as they fell behind. The goal came after Robert Symons broke down the left channel and crossed into area, where Davies was on hand to tuck in a low finish.

Buoyed by their goals, the visitors almost extended their lead when Clatworthy flicked a big opportunity narrowly over the bar from 6 yards out. Cefn Cribwr did eventually increase their advantage in the 37th minute, when a low strike from the edge of the area by Davies flew in off the left post.

HT 1-3

The visitors re-applied the pressure following the break; and came close to further extending their lead on several occasions. Jamie Isidoro-Marlowe and Jeffery Tiffin both powered threatening headers inches wide, while Davies also fired a close range effort over the bar. Nzarora was also forced into producing two saves from Isidoro-Marlowe and Davies, while Danny Woolfenden also saw a big chance deflect wide past the right post.

City eventually managed to restrict the visitors’ bombardment; and they responded in kind as Boyle struck two notable efforts wide past the right post. The Steelmen were eventually rewarded for their spell of pressure; and they halved the deficit in the 75th minute. A well placed pass inside the area from Ben Taylor found Hudson, allowing the latter to fire in a low finish for his second goal of the game.

Boosted by the goal, City piled on the pressure during the later stages. Despite their efforts however, the Steelmen were unable to find an equaliser and exited the Ardal South League Cup. Having been knocked out of each cup competition, City must now solely focus on picking up points in the league as they attempt to register their first league win of season and battle their way out of the relegation zone.

FT 2-3

Newport City Line-Up:

Nzarora, Joyce (Sub: Brunsden), Powell, Francombe, Darling, Boyle, Hudson, Westhead, Wynne, Leigh, Clifford (Sub: Hole) (Sub: Taylor)

Subs Not Used: Mickiewicz, Wigley

Leave a Reply