Newport City 2-3 Croesyceiliog AFC

Newport City continued their alarming run of form in the league as they endured their sixth successive defeat following a 3-2 home loss against fellow strugglers Croesyceiliog.

In what turned out to be a game full of twists and turns, the Steelmen started the game on fire and were ahead within the first minute. A nice attacking move into the area saw Dean Clifford lay off the ball to Jack Wheeler, leading to the latter smacking a sensational strike in on off the post. Buoyed by the goal, City threatened to run riot as they came very close to doubling their lead on several occasions. Clifford, Luke Boyle, Ben Taylor and Gareth Hole all fired gilt-edged efforts narrowly wide. Taylor also saw a close range strike blocked by Croesyceiliog keeper Jack Harris, leaving City frustrated not being further ahead.

Croesyceiliog eventually weathered the storm and gradually took charge of the game, leading to a series of bombardments on the Steelmen’s goal. Cole Greenhaf sent two big chances inches wide, while Louie Millard and Owen Llewellyn both forced City keeper Marcel Nzarora into a couple of smart saves. Llewellyn came even closer to scoring after witnessing his strike cleared off the goal line by John Darling; while the former also powered a header on to the crossbar seconds before the interval.

HT 1-0 

The visitors restarted the game strongly; and deservedly levelled the score in the 53rd minute. The goal came when a delivery into the City area was connected by Llewellyn, who spun and smashed an effort in from 8 yards out. Boosted by the goal, Croesyceiliog almost went ahead minutes later when Nzarora spectacularly tipped a thundering shot from Jordan Hill on to the post. The visitors continued to pile on the pressure as Greenhaf, Millard and Llewellyn all fired efforts inches wide; while Lewis Green also struck a shot into the side netting,

Croesyceiliog were eventually rewarded for their relentless pressure, as they went in front in the 71st minute. The goal came when a mazy run into the area by Green allowed him to find Millard, setting up the latter with a close range tap-in. The visitors continued to control the game and extended their lead in the 85th minute, courtesy of Llewellyn who latched on to a through ball and tapped in from close range.

The Steelmen tried to claw their way back into the game through substitute Aladje Sani who saw a strike saved by Harris, whilst he also fired another effort over the bar. City were handed a golden opportunity to pull a goal back in the 89th minute, as they were awarded a penalty following a foul on Hole inside the area. The resulting spot kick was duly converted by Clifford, setting up a grandstand finish.

There was still time for the Steelmen to try to level the game, as a threatening cross across the face of goal agonisingly evaded the City players despite their heavy presence inside the area. There was one final chance for City to equalise, but they were left frustrated again as Boyle smashed a volley from the edge of the area over the bar.

City were ultimately made to suffer another damaging result as they stay rooted to the bottom of the league table, without a point to their name.

FT 1-3

Newport City Line-Up:

Nzarora, Darling, Wheeler (Sub: Joyce), Francombe, Mickiewicz, Wood (C) (Sub: Sani) Price (Sub: Powell), Hole, Boyle, Taylor (Sub: Head), Clifford

Unused subs – Tyner

Leave a Reply