Newport City 3-1 Chepstow Town

Newport City extended their recent impressive run of victories to seven successive games following an action packed home win against Chepstow Town. The victory keeps the Steelmen’s promotion hopes on track, as they keep the pressure on Risca United and Trethomas Bluebirds at the top of the table.

City got off to the worst possible start, as they fell behind in the first minute. An attack into the area by Chepstow allowed Sonny Lewis to find Oliver Melling, who smashed in a close range low finish. The goal rattled the Steelmen, as they struggled to grab hold of the game during the opening affair. The visitors continued to threaten; and almost doubled their lead when an optimistic 40 yard effort by Finnan Maguire-Hamblett drifted narrowly wide past the right post.

City did eventually weather the storm; and had a series of chances to restore parity. They came very close to levelling when a long ball upfield was connected by Calum Bateman inside the area, allowing him to race clean through on goal. However, the attacker frustratingly saw his low strike superbly blocked by Chepstow keeper Matthew Swann. The Steelmen continued to pressurise, and almost scored when Loke Tyrell Webbe’s header was grasped by Swann from point blank range following a corner.

City were eventually rewarded for their efforts, as they equalised in the 26th minute. A well supplied square pass into the area by Bateman found Cole Jarvis, who confidently tucked the ball in from six yards. Buoyed by the goal, the Steelmen found the back of net again two minutes later when Owen Cuddihy headed in from close range. The celebrations were short lived however, as the goal was ruled out for offside. City came close to scoring again shorty before the interval, as Tyrell Webbe fired a presentable chance well over from 10 yards.

HT 1-1

The Steelmen restarted the game strongly, and came close to going ahead on several occasions. A glancing header by Rhyse Hudson was well grasped by Swann, while Bateman skied an effort over the bar from 8 yards. Bateman continued to be in the thick of the action again, as he fired another two glorious opportunities inches wide.

City were almost punished for the missed chances, as Chepstow came incredibly near to restoring their lead. Iestyn Davies thumped a header on to the post following a throw in, while Lewis flashed a low shot narrowly past the right post.

The Steelmen, however, took full advantage of the visitors’ missed opportunities as they eventually went in front in the 76th minute. Hudson’s brilliantly supplied cross into the six yard box found Jarvis, who powered in a header to register his second goal of the game.

The game momentarily descended into chaos six minutes later, when challenge by Davies on Bateman sparked a melee between both sides. The challenge eventually led to Davies receiving a straight red card, with the visitors reduced to ten men. Bateman almost sealed the game for City minutes later after being played clean through, but the attacker struck his effort over bar.

The Steelmen were handed another golden opportunity to seal the game in stoppage time, as they were awarded a penalty following a foul by Swann on Kofi Rowe inside the area. The foul also led to Swann being handed his marching orders after receiving a second yellow card, leaving Chepstow down to nine men. Defender Matthew Board replaced Swann in the visitors’ goal, as Louis Caramella-Gerrard stepped up to take the spot kick. The City skipper initially saw his effort saved, before he slotted in the rebound to wrap up the win. That proved to be the last action of the game, as the Steelmen maintained their 100% winning record in 2024.

FT 3-1

Newport City Line-Up:

Riella, Noyes, Cuddihy, Jarvis (Sub: Mickiewicz), Taylor St Clair, Hudson (Sub: Clifford), Bateman, Tyrrell Webbe (Sub: Rowe), Caramella-Gerrard, Mackenzie, Bloom (Sub: Kaplan)

Sub not used – Rio Evelyn



Leave a Reply