Newport City 3-2 Goytre AFC

Following their impressive win at Ardal South East League Champions Trethomas Bluebirds, Newport City registered another morale boosting triumph against Goytre. The victory was the perfect warm-up ahead of the Steelmen’s upcoming Ardal South play-off tie against Cefn Cribwr.

City started the game strongly, as they relentlessly swarmed into the visitors’ half. The Steelmen almost went in front early on, when Calum Bateman saw his close range strike deflect wide off the crossbar. They were rewarded for their early pressure, as they went ahead in the 11th minute. The goal came following a corner delivery by Richard Noyes, which was headed in by Cole Jarvis.

However the lead was short lived, as Goytre levelled the score just four minutes later. An energetic solo run down the left channel by Isaac Wigley saw him break into the area, before curling a clinical finish into the top right corner.

City responded with intent; and almost restored their lead when Loke Tyrrell Webbe saw his powering header well saved by Goytre keeper Cameron Clarke. Both Lewis Ellis and Owen Cuddihy sent presentable efforts wide, while the latter also struck a low shot into the side netting.

Goytre upped the tempo; and nearly found themselves in front. A well struck effort from Richard Lane was clawed away from the top left corner by Cohen Riella, before Riella grasped the rebound from Elias Youssef. Riella was called into action soon again, as he gathered the ball from David Lyon’s low strike.

The Steelmen regained control; and came close through Tyrrell Webbe whose header from a corner drifted inches wide past the left post. City did eventually go back in front on the stroke of half time, courtesy of a second goal from Jarvis, who converted a thumping strike following an uncleared corner.

HT 2-1

The Steelmen restarted the game in commanding fashion; and had several chances to extend their lead. Both Cuddihy and Kofi Rowe fired threatening opportunities narrowly wide, while Tyrrell Webbe and Cuddihy also saw presentable efforts saved by Clarke.

City’s pressure finally paid off, as they registered their third goal of the game. After Goytre failed to clear their lines, the ball rebounded into path of Jarvis who slammed a low strike home to secure his hattrick. Buoyed by the goal, the Steelmen continued to search for further goals. Frederick Stevens powered a header inches past the left post, while Bateman saw his low shot at the near post deflect wide by Clarke.

Goytre pressed in numbers during the closing stages, as they attempted the claw themselves back into the game. They came very close when a header from Aron Davies bounced off the underside of the crossbar, before the ball was cleared off the goal line by Louis Caramella-Gerrard. The visitors did however pull a goal back in in the 79th minute, as Kai Evans slid the ball in from six yards.

Goytre did find the ball in the back of the net again, as Aron Davies fired a low finish into the bottom right corner. Luckily for City though, the goal was disallowed for offside. There was another moment of scare for the Steelmen arriving in stoppage time, when a well struck volley by Lyon was desperately grasped by Riella.

City thankfully held on to clinch another victory, as they continued to build momentum ahead of their season-defining play-off encounter next week.

FT 3-2

Newport City Line-Up:

Riella, Noyes, Caramella-Gerrard, Cuddihy (Sub: Smith), Jarvis (Sub: Evelyn), Ellis, Bateman, Rowe, Tyrrell Webbe (Sub: Passmore), Kaplan (Sub: Antwi), Mackenzie (Sub: Stevens)

Leave a Reply