Newport City 4 -1 CPD Llannefydd

Newport City extended their recent impressive run of victories to six successive games following a convincing quarter final win in the FAW Amateur Trophy against CPD Llannefydd.

The Steelmen started the game brightly, and came close to scoring through Richard Noyes, who saw his side footed effort whistle inches past the left post. City were eventually rewarded for their early dominance, as they took a deserved lead in the 12th minute. A nice pass by Calum Bateman was connected inside the area by Owen Cuddihy, who tucked in a finish into the bottom left corner. Buoyed by the goal, the Steelmen doubled their lead just three minutes later. A strong 15 yard strike by Bateman was parried away by Llannefydd keeper Dylan Jones, before the rebound was converted from close range by Cuddihy, who registered his second goal of the game.

City continued to dominate; and almost extended their lead after Bateman raced clean through following a defensive mix up by the visitors. However, the attacker saw his low shot deflect wide by Dylan Jones. Bateman was involved in the thick of the action again, as he struck the ball into the back of the net from a yard after a scramble on the goal line. Frustratingly though, the goal was disallowed for an alleged foul in the lead up by Louis Caramella-Gerrard.

Llannefydd almost halved the deficit minutes later, as Morgan Jones skewed a dangerous strike from eight yards narrowly past the left post. Adam Kaplan nearly added a third for City before half time, but the midfielder saw his close range effort deflect away for a corner.

HT 2-0

The visitors came close to pulling a goal back shortly after the restart, as Cohen Riella blocked a huge opportunity from six yards by Mogan Jones. However, Llannefydd did eventually register a goal in the 62 minute, following a close range low finish into the bottom right corner from Mathew Jones.

The Steelmen attempted to restore their two goal advantage, as they were awarded a free kick on the edge of the area. However, Bateman scuffed the set piece wide past the right post. Bateman continued to threaten for the hosts, as he saw his dipping cross from the right channel tipped over the bar by Dylan Jones.

A powerful driving run into area by Loke Tyrrell Webbe almost resulted in a goal, as Dylan Jones was forced into desperately grasping the ball from the forward’s feet. City did finally seal the victory, as they registered a third goal in the 86th minute. The goal came courtesy of a smartly placed finish into the bottom right corner from 10 yards by substitute Joseph Ogugua. The Steelmen had another chance to extend their lead in stoppage time, as they were awarded a penalty following a handball inside the area. The resulting spot kick was thumped emphatically into the bottom left corner by Caramella-Gerrard, adding a further gloss to the scoreline.

City ultimately saw out the reminder of the game comfortably enough as they progressed into the semi finals of the FAW Amateur Trophy, opening up a golden opportunity for them to potentially achieve some silverware this season.

FT 4-1

Newport City Line-Up:

Riella, Noyes, Cuddihy, Hallett, Caramella-Gerrard ©, Kaplan (Sub: Ogugua), Taylor St Clair (Sub: Evelyn), Bateman (Sub: Huggins), Clifford (Sub: Mickiewicz), Tyrrell Webbe (Sub: Passmore), Bloom

Leave a Reply