Risca United 1-2 Newport City

Newport City bounced back from their defeat against Caldicot Town; as they secured a hard earned win following a dogged display against Risca United at the CCB Centre for Sporting Excellence.

The first clear opportunity came when Risca striker Leon Thomas was sent clean through on goal, but was denied by a brilliant low block by City keeper Jack Harris. The Cuckoos came close again minutes later, as Connor Evans glanced a header from a corner inches wide of the left post.

City responded positively and almost went ahead when Dean Clifford nearly rounded past Risca keeper Harry Morris, as the attacker saw his low effort deflect wide by the latter. The Steelmen were however rewarded seconds later, as they took the lead in the 17th minute. From the resulting corner, Martyn Mickiewicz rose highest at the far post to nod in a close range header into the roof of the net.

The Cuckoos reacted strongly; and almost equalised when Dan Battle smashed a close range effort over the bar. Risca did eventually level in spectacular fashion on the half hour mark. The goal came following a stunning 25 yard strike by Finlay Wood, which flew into the top left hand corner. Things almost got worse for the Steelmen minutes later, as the Cuckoos were awarded a penalty after Omar Behaldeen was adjudged to have fouled Morgan Stead inside the area. City however manged to survive, after Thomas fired the resulting spot kick well wide of the right post.

Boosted by the penalty miss, the Steelmen instantly punished the Cuckoos just a minute later. City manged to cleverly work their way into the penalty area, where Adam Kaplan tucked in a close range finish to restore the Steelmen’s lead in the 35th minute.

Shellshocked by the events, Risca tried to claw their way back by applying a spell of pressure before the interval. Lewis Ellis saw a close range strike whistle wide of the right post, while a curling effort by Wood was well grasped by Harris.

HT 2-1

The Cuckoos restarted the game positively, as they took the game to City. They almost equalised shortly after the break, when Stead saw his strike from six yards out deflect wide. Risca came close again when Ellis was sent through on goal, but the midfielder mis-controlled the pass which allowed Harris to gather the ball.

City managed to weather the storm; and had a couple of opportunities to extend their lead. Rhyse Hudson engineered his way towards the goal, but saw his low shot drift inches wide of the right post. Kaplan also came close to scoring, but saw his strike deflected over the bar.

Risca threw the kitchen sink at the City goal during the closing stages, as they chased an equaliser. Thomas almost found himself through on goal, but the ball was desperately kicked away from his feet by Harris. The Cuckoos came even closer a few minutes later as Josh Maksimovic managed to connect with a free header, but narrowly missed the target from three yards out. There was another scare for the Steelmen, when a 30 yard strike from Shane Parry flew narrowly over the bar.

As the game entered stoppage time, City had a golden opportunity to seal the win. Hudson managed to round past Morris who had over committed himself outside the area, but the former fired his strike inches wide of the left post. That proved to be the final action of the game, as the Steelmen successfully managed to dig in to clinch a scrappy victory.

FT 2-1

Newport City Line-Up:

Harris, Stevens, Hole (Sub: Behaldeen), Okonmah (Sub: Mickiewicz), Noyes, Pearson, Bell, Hudson, Kaplan, Clifford (Sub: Leigh), Green © (Sub: St Clair)

Subs Not Used: Ward




Leave a Reply